Does anyone else get these emails from Kennedy Publishing?

Dear Julie Chapman,
As you may know from our previous emails we visited your website and are extremely impressed with your body of work. Our new Best Of Books have been a wonderful success featuring some of the most oustanding artists from around the world.

Our Best of Worldwide Genre art book competitions are coming up. Figurative / Portrait, Landscape, Still Life, Animal and Abstract. We would be honored to include you in one of them.

If you decide to enter you are guaranteed a Two Page Full Color Layout of your artwork (a total of 2-4 images) along with your contact information and/or gallery Representation, plus more.

The book does require an entry form and the $55 entry fee, which allows you to submit up to 10 images. You will receive two preview proofs of your pages, a jpg followed by a full color paper proof.

…etc.

I think I once did a little poking around on the web to see if these folks were legit, and it didn’t seem like their books were carried in any ‘real’ bookstore (brick’n’mortar, Amazon, anyplace I’d like to buy a book), nor is it clear how many galleries and museums get these. They mention “470 collectors” on their mailing list, which didn’t overwhelm me (based on the number I have on my own mailing list), nor can I recall having seen this book advertised anywhere. Has anyone else seen the books?

I’d also like a little more clarity on what they mean by “our books…have been a wonderful success…”. Call my cynical, but I’ve worked as an engineer and in marketing long enough to question this sort of thing.

Or am I missing out on a cool opportunity by not sending the Kennedy folks $55 and some images? One question I had was whether there were further fees if my images were accepted to whatever book – unclear.

Whatchall think?

57 Responses to ““Best of Artists” book?”
  1. mindy says:

I was in a few books years ago.
    So I put sculpture in a new hardcover, should have been received by now.
    I received a nice proof too. I have been looking for the two (thank goodness only two books) I was supposed to be in. They have declared Bankruptcy!!!! So my $$ is gone.
    If they had any class they would have contacted people. I think a good lawyer could put together a class action suit. Enough people sent them a lot of money!!!

I looked for them on FB, guess they don’t dare go there. We can warn others and put their names out there to bewared of….

2. Margaret Jamison says:

I too thought they were legit. I did receive the Best of Artist’s Oil Painters and signed up for the “Best of the Best”, paid for 3 books, approved the images, then nothing. Requests for information were never answered. Feel they could have communicated a problem. Thanks to Wayne I will file a complaint and hope Mindy is right and some Lawyer decides to put together a class-action suit.

3. Karen says says:

I was solicited to put images into the Best of the World Still Lifes,and then was told they couldn’t find enough good artists but if I wanted to go into their Best of Worldwide Artists I could. I thought how could there not be enough artists but was so thrilled that I was invited to be in it, I ignored the red flags. I was embarassed by the title but it was an ego boost. So, I have subsequently lost about $500.. Their pressure tactics to pre-order & the high cost of the books & the way they were to be distributed should’ve been a big tip off.

Then James Kennedy tried to flatter me by trying to get me to sign up for their new website. The price quote kept dropping when I resisted. I got to the point that I felt harassed by him that he finally declined. Thank goodness as a lot more money would have gone down the drain.

When I didn’t receive my books & checked their website for Kennedy Publishing & found that they were no longer in business, Jame’s cell # was not in service & the gallery he kept referring to I could not locate on Google. According to the above comments they had a LOT of books on the go & it makes me think that they knew what was ahead & decided to shore up their losses.

As much as they said that it was not Vanity Press that is exactly what it was!

4. Marco M O says:

I was supposed to be in the Glass book . After checking with one of their sponsors to check validity ( Blick art supplies , where I buy lots of art supply ) I send the fee of $ 55
    Misty and I exchanged e-mails about size etc and later they send proofs of how the
    images were supposed to appear.
    That was the last I heard. I called James Kennedy how to order a book , but no reply.
    I checked their address best of artist . com , looked under glass book and did find
    pages of glass , but not my name. I wrote many e-mails and a different person replied
    that he did not know what I was talking about.
    I did ask if I had fallen to a ‘shark attack , but no reply .
    I think it very low to misuse artist weakness: sale and how to deal with sharks.

5. E von Isser says:

I too did the research, felt that there was enough ‘legit’ comments to give it a go, and am now out almost $600. I was invited to be in their Best of Artists-Acrylic vol. I. I thought the $55 fee was reasonable for a proof. I was selected to be on the cover as well as my two page spread and saw the proofs which looked terrific. I decided to purchase 12 or 13 copies (I can’t remember now) to give as gifts to my most serious collectors (those who had purchased 2 or more originals) and gave them (Kennedy publishing) almost $600. That was approximately 1-1/2 years ago. Same sad story as the previous posts. Phone calls from Kennedy publishing assuring me that publication was within 6-8 weeks – multiple times… And now nothing. No website, no working phones or emails. Dang. I feel like a dope. Thanks for the link to file a complaint with the VA attorney general. If there’s a class action law suit… Sign me up.

6. http://crossroad-rto.ca says:

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed!
    Extremely helpful info specifically the last part :) I care for such info a lot.
    I was looking for this certain information for a long time.

Thank you and good luck.

7. overnight minomycin c.o.d says:

famciclovir blackheads medication
    contraceptif oral ne valtrex regal
    bar minomycin
    olcso valacyclovir egyik naprol a masikra nem kaphato
    ketoconazole-cream jock itch. where can i purchase ketoconazole-cream
    glucophage patient assistance program advair diskus
    buy minomycin using paypal
    where to buy cheap famvir no prescriptin
    lamisil-cream come posso acquistare approvato generico
    if you realize that you have been taking too much
    flonase
    valtrex online without a prescription
    luvox from canada zonder recept
    buy cod valacyclovir in internet western union no script
    connecticut
    buy minomycin pay pal without prescription
    fluconazole and ketoconazole
    release luvox immediate
    minomycin for phobias in dogs
    acheter lincomycin 500mg by mail
    seroflo 125mcg cutisone zasielkovy v manchestri
    over the counter valacyclovir ups