Lately I’ve been receiving a direct email from Southwest Art about once a week, and it seems to be aimed mostly at artists (so somehow their profiling is working). Is anyone else getting these? some sound intriguing, like the “artist network online seminars” that are being presented.

The next one coming up (Tues 12/15) is titled “Art Critique 3: Improve your Work Through Expert Advice (Learning the Language of Art)” - and you can submit your work prior to the event for critique. One hour, $69.

I’d love to hear from anyone who attends any of these and would be happy to post your comments/experiences here.

11 Responses to “Southwest Art’s email marketing push”
  1. Marti Millington says:

Julie and all – Southwest Arts is a magazine now owned by F & W Publications which also publishes The Artists Magazine, Pastel Journal, Watercolor Artist. They appear to be combining their mailing lists because I get TWO of these – as a subscriber to both SWA and TAM magazines. While I have never “attended” one of these seminars, they appear to be well structured and conducted by folks who know what they are talking about. They have online video demonstrations as well. See here: http://www.artistsnetwork.com/artistsmagazine/ There is a sample demo on this page – lower right corner – you can watch.

2. Joni Johnson-Godsy says:

Magazines are having a really tough time financially because artists and galleries are not advertising nearly as much due to the sagging market. So they are coming up with cleaver ways to generate much needed income…can’t blame them for that. It could be worth the money, who knows. But for artists who want to save that hard earned $$$, I would reccommend (man, I need a spell check on this thing!) finding other artists in your area who have some skill and maybe do critique sessions for each other. A fresh eye is a valuable thing. Maybe a way can be found where it’s free.

For many, many years I trained and showed competition obedience dogs in trials hosted by the AKC (American Kennel Club). AKC was a healthy, wealthy company then. When the show market began to sag due to rising travel prices, ACK had to get cleaver and find new ways to bolster up business. So they changed the rules allowing you to show dogs longer at the different levels, released new show class offerings like Rally Obedience, and began sponsoring Agility trials. These were all effective ways to keep people spending money with the AKC. It sounds like the art magazines are finding new strategies to stay alive. I hope it works for them, as we all enjoy these magazines.

Marti, I knew about the F&W thing but didn’t realize folks might get 2 of these kinds of emails – they ought to scrub their lists a bit, sounds like.

Joni, interesting analogy. As someone who has showed competitive obedience but really LOVES agility, I’m glad it came along! and now AKC will be welcoming mixed-breeds at performance events, which delights me. (I’m co-chairing a new spring agility trial in Missoula, and we’ll be the first in MT to offer the MB classes).

Print media in general is facing challenges as people switch to reading news online and on their smartphones…but it’s hard to imagine replacing beautiful pubs like Southwest Art – with big gorgeous image reproduction – with a 400×800 pixel screen for access…However, your point is valid – grow and change, or be left behind (and eventually perish).

It’s all going digital. It’s just a question of how soon and how long the print media will continue to be in denial.

Lots of advantages to web-based publications, but they have start to look forward, not back. Publishing won’t move on to the next thing while they’re still spinning their wheels trying to figure out how to save the last thing.

The embedded energy involved in printing and delivering something as ephemeral as a magazine is not sustainable or justifiable anymore. Especially when all the content for the entire run of a magazine can be available on-line forever, which also saves a heck of a lot of shelf space.

FWIW for any artist living in California- the California Art Club offers critiques a couple of times a year for its members. But a local critique group is a good idea IF you can find the right people.

5. Doug Fletcher says:

I don’t think all print media is in denial. I think if you are going to exist
    you have to offer both avenues to people. With that said, you must also
    charge readers for both avenues as well. The problem the print media
    and all others who are struggling is advertising revenue. People are still
    reluctant to pay the ad fees to be on the web the print media charges
    when they can do it themselves alot cheaper. Print media did kill off
    their own clients by charging way to much for ads and still do!
    As far as following Julie’s blog and a few other favs. I don’t do much
    reading of articles on the net. Anything more than 3 or 4 paragraphs
    of substance and I print it off. I hate reading lengthy stuff on the computer
    screen. I want to feel the paper in my hands. If my state paper were to
    go completely web say goodbye to my subscription.

6. Joni Johnson-Godsy says:

I agree Doug, I do like to have that paper in my hand too, especially because I don’t travel with a lap top (in fact, I don’t even OWN a lap top) and a magazine is a great thing to have in hand while waiting for a plane at an aireport, etc. So there is still some need for printed media, maybe just not enough for it to pay for itself. In the end the almighty $$$ is what decides what will survive and what will not.

I got a call from the local Yellow Pages today asking me if I wanted to advertise my dog training /behavior business in it. First off, this business is WAY more successful then I had anticipated (as far as business goes), so NO, I don’t want to advertise there or anywhere else. But secondly…when is the last time anyone has looked at a Yellow Pages??? I go to the web for everything now. I’m sure some still us the YP but most everyone I know goes streight to the net. So, if I were inclined to advertise, would it be there? Um…no… …Yet another printed media that is falling by the wayside.

7. Doug Fletcher says:

Joni I agree with you! I wouldn’t advertise in the yellow pages unless
    I wanted to place my business out there for standard contacts. But
    having a business that is successfull by word of mouth is best. If I were
    needing to place ads the first place I go is my local paper than larger
    State paper and than to radio and than to TV in that order because of cost.
    You can also get free ad space in papers in different sections. Web based
    advertising just doesn’t pay. It’s really hard to find company’s to do that
    unless it’s a package deal with a TV ad that directs you to go to a website.
    The problem Tv stations are having is that the web is successful in driving people to the stations websites for news updates, short stories, or WX or extended video coverage on a story now the stations want to get viewers back
    to watch them because those tv ads pay for running the stations the web
    ads don’t drive viewers to the ads like TV does.
    Newspapers killed themselves by running free editions on the web when
    they should charged up front from the beginging. They are now playing
    catch up for lost revenues by laying people of saying ad sales are down.
    Well Duh!! This also could have been avoided to agree. By giving package deals
    to for both paper and web ads. I case your wondering, I work in the Media
    industry I won’t say which. But I have degrees in Fine Arts and Graphic Arts.
    My first love has always been the Fine Arts.

8. Lori Lemanski says:

I also get these emails, probably because of my subscription, which has lasped and I need to renew. I just went out last week to buy the December Southwest Art, and neither Borders or Barnes and Noble carried it! It is getting harder and harder to find it in print in a store.
    I hope they don’t go only digital…I SO much prefer looking at a magazine in person, and I keep all of them too. Does anyone else worry about this?

9. Doug Fletcher says:

Lori-
    Maybe your local BN or Borders need you to request those mags. The stores
    here in my area carry them. Your best bet is to subsribe to them or have
    someone get them for you as a holiday gift! Subscribing helps to make sure
    that these mags don’t go digital only. I also keep all of my old mags I like to revisit them from time to time.

I end up tearing out what I want, filing it by artist and then recycling the rest.

What I’m really looking forward to is being able to go on a site like Southwest Art, search their archive and find all the articles on wildlife artists within a few seconds. It’ll get there eventually and will save a lot of trees.

I know monitor quality is an issue for some people, but I think that the color and luminosity of art on a computer will ultimately be far superior to print, not to mention color accuracy.

Personally, for the sake of the planet, digital magazines can’t come too soon for me.

Susan, although I agree with the ‘greenness’ of print on web, there is nothing that replaces the beauty AND convenience of a magazine…for now. E-reading technology just ain’t there yet, and since I now spend all day in front of a computer (sigh…see next post) I do NOT want to be in front of one to savor beautiful paintings and stimulating, inspiring artists. I suspect Apple’s long-rumored “iPad” may be a game-changer in this space (spoken like a true Apple fangirl).

I rip out pages of SWA to stare at gorgeous, inspiring work – these pages lie around my studio, stimulate me, and cannot be replaced by something electronic. My home printer is no match for commercial printing presses.